This course was designed to help
individuals or professionals alike, who have a desire and need to learn
as much as possible about human food and nutrition, as quickly as
If time is precious and in short supply, you are not going to find
anything better or faster that will give you an all round, balanced
understanding of what people should eat to be as fit and healthy as
Learn how better eating can make both your mind and body function
closer to peak performance. Change eating habits for a better life.
There are five lessons in this course as outline below:
Lesson 1: The Digestive System
- Nutrition and nutrients
- Food pyramid and recommended daily intake (RDI)
- Population based nutrient requirements
- General health recommendations
- Examples of serving size
- Understanding the digestive system organs
Lesson 2: Modifying Diet for a Particular Lifestyle or Genetic Disposition
- Cultural differences
- Genetic considerations
- How you eat
Lesson 3: Foods and Their Nutrition
- Why do we need to know nutrition in foods?
- How to source better food
- The impact of food preparation and storage on nutritional value
Lesson 4: Nutrition and Health Disorders
- How diet may affect skin
- Diet and our bones, joints and muscles
- Nutrition and the heart
- Diet and the respiratory system
- Diet and the urinary system
- Diet and the digestive system
- Diet and the brain/mental health
- Food and psychological wellbeing
- Food and respiratory disorders
- Food allergy and intolerance
- Food and digestive disorders
- Diets for specific conditions
Lesson 5: How to Find Reliable Information on Nutrition
- Nutritional research
- Sources of nutritional information
- Conditions requiring dietary advice
- Weight loss diets
- Nutritional supplementation
- Other resources
- Determining what a person should eat
- Tests to determine what a person should eat or should avoid
LEARN TO UNDERSTAND WHAT A HEALTHY DIET IS
This course helps you understand the components of a healthy diet, as a foundation for better eating - whether to help yourself, your family or others.
No one food provides all the nutrients required for good health. Learning about the nutrients found in different foods and how to combine foods to achieve a balanced diet is an essential part of dietary planning. In this section we shall focus on the macronutrients or energy providing nutrients (carbohydrates, proteins and fats) and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) found in individual foods and discuss why each nutrient is required by the human body and how individual foods can contribute to our daily nutritional requirements.
Food groups and nutrition found in them:
An initial way of understanding the foods we eat is to think of each food as belonging to one of five main food groups which are:
- Fruit and vegetables
- Starchy foods such as bread, potatoes, rice and pasta
- Meat, fish, eggs and pulses
- Milk and dairy foods
- Foods containing fats and sugars.
To achieve a healthy diet it is important to achieve a balance of these food groups. Most governments have information that can be found on the internet that provide recommended daily intakes for the relevant country. The information is often presented visually in images such as the healthy food pyramid that displays food in categories from those that should be eaten plentifully, to those that should be eaten rarely.
How do our short courses work?
As you progress through each lesson; you will be provided with a range
of ways you can expand your learning. By choosing what tasks you do and
don't undertake; you can expand in areas that interest you most, and
skip areas of less interest.
At the end of each lesson, you will be given a short interactive test to
undertake, which will provide an indication of how your learning is
progressing. Upon completing the very last lesson, you will be offered a
more thorough automated test or examination. This final assessment can
be undertaken at any time of day or night; and any day of the week; and
if you achieve an overall pass; you will be able to obtain a
"certificate of completion".
What will you get from this course?
This course is designed for those interested in learning more about nutritional value of different types of food; weight loss, supplements; you will learn or revisit what a healthy lifestyle is and how you can achieve it; help others to develop healthy habits and apply the new habits onto your/their daily routine.