Improve your communication skills! Enhance your writing and communication abilities.
Knowing how to construct words into proper sentences is critical if you are to communicate clearly and effectively; both in writing and when speaking.
Some people learn grammar at school; but if you didn't, or English is your second language; this course could help you to greatly improve your communication skills.
We rely on punctuation and grammar to enhance the way that our words are received by others and to reduce misunderstandings. Grammar provides a coherent structure for the expression of thoughts and ideas. By following grammatical rules, we are able to compile logical sentences that make sense to the receiver. Punctuation is used to create sense within the correct grammar, indicating such things as start and end of sentences, spaces, groupings, questions and so on.
This course can help English speakers to improve their grammar, punctuation and control of language elements, particularly in written communication. For speakers of English as a second language, it will help to clarify some of the rules to follow in both written and spoken language.
Lesson 1: Introduction - The Components of Language
- Root Words, Prefixes and Suffixes, and Clauses
Lesson 2: Types of Words
- Pronouns, Adjectives and Adverbs, with rules and examples
Lesson 3: Punctuation
- Commas, Colons, Semi colons, Quotation marks and more
Lesson 4: Upper and Lower Case, Abbreviations, Numbers, Bullet points
- Rules and Guidelines for their use.
Lesson 5: Using Words Together
- Clauses and Phrases
- Sentence types and construction
- Writing clearly and appropriately in different contexts (books, periodicals, online etc)
- Language styles- persuasive, imaginative, formal, colloquial and more.
- Language for purpose - narratives, recounts, expositions, reports and more.
How do our courses work?
- Enrol any time of day or night.
- Start studying immediately or later (as you wish).
- Work through at your own pace.
- Help desk- contact our help desk here with the subject title: 'Help Desk Short Course'.
- Automated self assessment tests pop up at the end of each lesson. You can attempt these as many times as you wish; and each time, upon completion, you can see your results. You will need internet access to complete the self assessment tests.
- At the end of the whole course, you are presented with a major automated examination which can be attempted online, anywhere, anytime.
- If you achieve a 60% pass in the exam, you immediately receive a downloadable certificate of completion with your name on it.
Who is this course for?
For those who need to improve their writing skills;
For those who have English is their second language.