Embracing Difference is an important aspect of Neurodiversity.
This Neurodiversity evidence-based course has been developed to improve understanding and knowledge regarding neurodiverse individuals.
It is studied by distance learning. You can start at any time to suit you and work at your own pace.
It was written by experienced ACS writers with knowledge of neurodiversity, the myths and misconceptions regarding neurodiversity and how to embrace neurodiversity in education, counselling and the workplace.
During this Course –
- Students will understand more about the impact of neurodiversity on individuals in their personal and professional lives.
- Students will be inspired by their learning and want to take their research and reading beyond the course materials.
- Understand the myths and misconceptions about neurodiversity and how neuro diverse individuals can benefit organisations through their problem solving skills, creativity and ways of thinking.
Students will study -
- The impact of neurodiversity on individuals at work and at home.
- Techniques to support individuals with neurodiversity in education and counselling.
- The benefits and difficulties of neurodiversity in relationships – friendships and romantic relationships.
The course has eight lessons. Each lesson has carefully constructed activities, tasks and assignments to help students to gain an in depth understanding of neurodiversity.
Lesson 1: Scope and Nature of Neurodiversity
- History of the term ‘Neurodiversity’
- What is neurodiversity today
- The difference between neurotypical and neuro divergent brains
- The neuro divergent experience
- Other considerations
Lesson 2: Neurodiversity & Childhood
- Gender and neurodiversity
- Stereotyped behaviour
- Mental health and neurodiversity
- Strategies to help neuro divergent children
Lesson 3: Neurodiversity & Adolescence
- The transition from childhood to adolescence
- Exercise and neuro diverse adolescents
- Bullying in adolescence
- Neurodiversity and mental health in adolescents
- Adolescence and coping strategies
Lesson 4: Neurodiversity in Adulthood
- Neuro diverse adults and quality of life
- Barriers to quality of life in neuro diverse individuals
- Improving quality of life for neuro diverse individuals
- Practical coping strategies for neuro diverse adults
- Neurodiversity and work
- Professional development
Lesson 5: Neurodiversity and Relationships
- Relationships and neuro diverse individuals
- Interpersonal relations
- Neuro diverse work relationships
- Self-help groups
Lesson 6: Neurodiversity in Education
- Strategies in education
- Teaching strategies for neuro diverse students
- Neuro diverse children and education
- Neuro diverse students in the classroom
Lesson 7: Neurodiversity in the Workplace
- Underemployment and unemployment
- The benefits of neuro diverse employees
- Neuro divergent jobs
- Preparing for interviews
- Maintaining neuro diverse individuals in the workplace
Lesson 8: Counselling Neuro divergent Individuals
- Counselling young neuro diverse people
- Counselling neuro diverse adults
- Case study – counselling for ADHD
- International organisations that support neurodiversity
This detailed and thorough course requires a commitment from students to study and learning regarding neurodiversity.
At the end of each lesson, there is an assignment to submit to the tutor for marking and feedback.
Students can also contact the tutor with any questions throughout the course.
WHO IS NEURODIVERSITY COURSE FOR?
The neurodiversity course is suitable for –
- Parents/foster parents
- Support workers
- Human Resources Staff
- Teaching Assistants
- Charity Workers
- Anyone who works or knows a neuro diverse individual and wants to understand more.
The course contains psychological theory, but also practical strategies and approaches to understand more about neurodiversity and how to support individuals with neurodiversity.
The course teaches people how to:
- Define neurodiversity
- Understand the myths and misconceptions about neurodiversity
- Support neuro diverse individuals in the workplace, education and counselling.
- Understand the challenges and benefits of neurodiversity in relationships.
This course improves understanding regarding neurodiversity and enables students to embrace neurodiversity in the workplace and personally.