Learn to grow plants commercially in a greenhouse
Learn about different greenhouse designs and how to manage the environment to propagate and grow marketable plants
Course Duration- 100 hours
Course Structure and Content
There are nine lessons in this course:
1.Types of Greenhouses
- Greenhouse Designs for Commercial Nursery Production
- Greenhouse Construction Methods and Materials
- What Type of Greenhouse is Appropriate for Your Nursery?
- Siting Greenhouses
- Greenhouse Benching
- What Can You Grow?
- Environmental Control in Greenhouses
- Computerised Environmental Control
2.Growing Systems and Equipment
- How to Grow Plants
- Measuring Conditions Inside a Greenhouse
- Environmental Control Systems
- Getting Plants to Flower Out of Season
3.Pest and Disease Management in Greenhouses
- How to Stop Pests and Diseases Entering the Greenhouse
- Detecting and Controlling Pests and Diseases in the Greenhouse
- Common Greenhouse Diseases
- Disease Control
4.Temperature Control in a Greenhouse
- Heating Systems
- Ventilation Systems
- Greenhouse Irrigation
- Soil and Water
- When to Irrigate
- The Nursery Irrigation Program
- Plants and Water
- Equipment and Methods
- Maintenance of Watering System
- Irrigation and Nutrition Control
- Liquid Feed Systems
- Importance of Lighting in a Greenhouse
- Artificial Lighting
- Measuring Light
- Controlling Light in the Greenhouse
- Photoperiod Manipulation
- Growth Rooms
- Efficient Lighting Control
- Carbon Dioxide Enrichment
- Pollutant Gases
- Temperature Control Systems (Ventilation)
9.Automation and Robotic Application for Greenhouse Production
- Automation in Vegetable Nurseries
- Compare different types of greenhouses to better match the plants to be grown inside the greenhouse to be built.
- Explain the equipment and measuring devices (manual and automated) used inside a greenhouse to help grow plants more effectively.
- Explain options for reducing the impact of pests and diseases on plants grown inside greenhouses.
- Detect and control the temperature within an optimal growing range for plants being grown in a greenhouse.
- Control water in a greenhouse, including irrigation and humidity.
- Control nutrient levels in a greenhouse at optimal levels for plant growth and health
- To explain how light levels can be maintained in a greenhouse for optimal plant production.
- Explain how to best manage the air characteristics inside a greenhouse.