Learn to be a Weight Loss Consultant
The prevalence of obesity is increasing in all age groups and virtually all populations worldwide.
With this rise in obesity rates has come a wide range of opportunities to develop weight loss services to help clients to lose weight and increase their fitness levels.
Throughout this course we shall examine how to set up effective weight loss services and provide you with the knowledge and skills to support these services.
Develop skills to establish a new business
Personal trainer? Massage therapist? Health professional? - Learn new skills to add onto your existing business
You will learn:
Scope and Nature of Weight Loss
- Obesity Defined
- Life Events
- Middle Age
- Stopping Smoking
- Weight gain linked to Medication
- Weight gain following Injury or Illness
- Scope and Nature of Weight Loss Industry
- Health Programs
- Meal Replacement Products
- Surgery for Weight Loss
Managing Physical Activity
- Role of Physical Activity in Energy Balance
- Role of Physical Activity Raising Metabolic Rate
- Bone Mass Maintenance
- Physical Activity and Mental Health
- Specific Aspects of Exercise When Overweight
- Tips to get started with Exercise
- Types of Exercise and Effectiveness for Weight Loss
- Cardiovascular Activity
- Optimum Target Heart Rate for Fat Burning
- Resistance Activities
- Exercise Progression
- Recommending Exercise
Managing the Diet
- Teaching Portion Control
- Beginning to Address Portion Control
- Energy Density
- Fats and Energy Density
- Sources of Fats
- Tips to Reduce Fat
- Practical Tips Based on Daily Meal Plan
- Sugar and Weight Reducing
- General Weight Loss Tips
- Using Food Diaries
- Nutrition Resources and Lesson Planning
Managing the Psychology
- Eating and Emotions
- The Brain and Weight Management
- Managing the Psychology
- Helping People to Make Changes
- Stages og Change Explained -Pre contemplation, Contemplation, Preparation, Action, Maintenance,
Tools for the Consultant
- Determining Weight Status of Clients
- Administering Weight Checks
- Calculating BMI
- Interpreting BMI
- Setting Targets
- Determining Waist Measurement
- Health Evaluation
- Nutritional Advice
- Running Supermarket Tours
- Food Labels
Delivering Weight Loss Services
- Individual Consultations
- Features of an Ideal One to One Consultation
- Good Questioning Skills
- Running Group Sessions
- Running Independent Weight Management Group Sessions
- Joining an Established Weight Management Business
- Potential Barriers to Weight Loss
- Social Issues and Pressure
- Time Constraints
- Physical Limitations
- Psychological Limitations
- Hormonal Issues
Conducting a Weight Loss Consultation
- The Next Step
- Target Marketing
- PBL Project -A major project where you:
-Explain the basics of obesity, explain fully the causes, symptoms, and associated health risks.
-Identify a target market that will benefit from your services.
-Develop a marketing strategy to attract clients from your target market
-Identify the nutritional, physical exercise, and psychological contributions to obesity.
-Identify and convey the importance of addressing all of the above elements in a successful weight loss programme.
-Present clear, concise and readily understandable guidelines that address appropriate interventions for the clients to take home and follow
-Develop appropriate assessment tools and strategies to identify and monitor your clients needs.
-Discuss the challenges for your client to adhere to the programme, and outline strategies to support them.
-Compare and contrast the dietary, exercise and psychological strategies you have decided to use, with other weight loss strategies you have decided not to use (e.g. surgery, meal replacement drinks, medication)
-Represent complex health information in a clear, simple format, readily understandable by the individual assuming they have little or no nutritional background
Establishing a Weight Loss Business
- Starting a New Business
Personality and Lifestyle
- Industry Knowledge and Experience
- Starting a Business versus Buying a Franchise
- Business Plans
- The Planning Process
- The Marketing Plan
- Promotion, Advertising, Networking
- Summary of a Successful Business
Did You Know that Inflammation can affect Weight?
It is thought that low level chronic inflammation contributes to weight gain and obesity. Diet induced inflammation makes it very hard to lose weight and maintain health.
Low carbohydrates diets are considered an important factor. Avoiding high-density carbohydrates reduces inflammation and promotes overall weight loss.
It is possible to improve the health of plasma cell membrane and the number of receptors on the cell’s membrane by reducing cellular inflammation and reducing general inflammation in the body. Inflammation is a healthy response carried out by the body in a process required to destroy microorganisms i.e. it is an immune response. Chronic inflammation however overwhelms our defences to fight free radicals and they overwhelm the intracellular system. This leads to damage of the DNA and leads to a variety of diseases and infections. Hormone receptors become blunted. The molecules cannot connect and this equals resistance.
- Increase high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol. Cholesterol is needed! We need a small amount of blood cholesterol because the body uses it to build the structure of cell membranes and receptors – the hormone receptors found in cell membranes are stabilised by cholesterol and some clean saturated fats. HDL also to makes hormones, production of vitamin D and production of bile acids – they are essential.
Remember hydrogenated fats are not healthy. Get rid of polyunsaturated fats. Polyunsaturated fats are safe when they are found in their original state e.g. in vegetables, however, when they are removed from their natural source, they become oxidized (which means their molecular structure is altered). When the polyunsaturated fats are found in other sources e.g. oils, this is when they become a blocker to healthy weight control. They make there their way into the cell membrane and cause inflammation and damage to the receptors on the cell membrane.
- Reduce or better still avoid pro-inflammatory foods such as sugars and grains. These can inflame the cell membrane and cause disease by forming advanced glycation end-products (AGE’s). AGE’s form and accumulate rapidly in proportion to dietary intake of sugars (such a galactose and fructose). AGEs are produced when a protein reacts with sugar. The result is damaged proteins which the body then tries to protect you against. It does that by breaking resulting in damaged, cross-linked proteins. As the body tries to protect you by breaking these AGEs apart, immune cells secrete large amounts of inflammatory chemicals. Daily consumption of sugars and grains leads to chronic inflammation.
- Toxins affect one third of cells inability to perform its tasks. Again toxins lead to inflammation of the cellular tissue. Cellular level detoxification is important. Improvements need to happen to the cells ability to respond to the hormones in the blood therefore you need to down regulate inflammation.
Student resources are guaranteed with ACS, because unlike most other colleges, we don't depend on text books, bought in from other publishers.
- We have written all of our own course notes
- We have published our own reference books for supplementary reading
Expert university trained and experienced tutors are as close as a phone call, chat session or email to support you one on one whenever needed. Our experts in fitness, human nutrition and health sciences, have decades of experience and our mission is simple - to help you learn.