Learn how to grow plants without soil in your own home!
This course is a good starting point for those who have little
experience in horticulture or hydroponics and whose main interest is in
growing AT HOME. Unlike our other hydroponics courses, this course is NOT intended
for commercial growing in any way. You will learn the theory behind
hydroponic culture, as well as receive first hand practical experience
as you set up your own basic hydroponic system.
- A course for home gardeners with limited space or a passion for applying technology.
- Learn the theory behind this space efficient method of growing.
- Grow anything from vegetables and berries, to cut flowers and herbs.
- Start any time, work at your own pace.
The course comprises 12 lessons, as follows:
- Basic Chemistry and Plant Nutrition - atoms, elements, nutrient deficiency symptoms
- Nutrient Solutions - calculating formulae, hydroponic nutrition, preparing nutrient solutions
- Types of Systems A - classification of hydroponic systems, ingredients of hydroponic systems, rockwool.
- Types of Systems B - what makes up a system, 16 hydroponic ideas, NFT, solution dispensation.
- Plant Problems in Hydroponics - pests and diseases, nutritional and environmental problems, water and plant relationships, pH.
- How a Plant Grows - growth, nutrient solutions, preparing a solution, mechanisms of nutrient uptake, photosynthesis.
- Plant Culture - controlling environmental features, post harvest storage.
- Hydroponic Vegetable Production - how to grow vegetables hydroponically.
- Hydroponic Cut Flower Production - growing flowers in hydroponics, carnations.
- Soil Media vs Nutrient Film - berries, indoor plants, types of media, NFT.
- Greenhouse Operation & Management - solar energy applications in horticulture, greenhouse management.
- Special Assignment - a report on how to improve your present hydroponic venture, or a report on planning a new hydroponic venture.
Each lesson culminates in an
assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school’s
tutors and returned to you with relevant suggestions, comments and if
necessary, extra reading.
Course Duration: 100 hours of self paced study