Study Publishing at home
If you want to work in Publishing this is a great follow on course from Publishing I.
Publishing II goes in to more depth describing the publishing process and taking you through various assignments and set tasks which help you get a grasp on the industry.
Course Content and Structure
There are 8 lessons in this course:
1. The Publishing Process
- The launch meeting
- Copy editing
- Co-authored volumes
- Edited volumes
- Design and cover
- Proof review
- Special for edited volumes
- Front matter
- Printing and binding
- Printing process
2. Law and the Media
- Seditious libel
- Criminal libel
- Contract law
- Right to privacy
- Reporting restrictions
- Law and the internet
- Publishing on the web
- How material is published online
3. Ethics and Morality
- Code of conduct
- Maintaining impartiality and accuracy
- International federation of journalists
- Interpreting a code of conduct
- Censorship in wartime
- Manipulation of digital images
4. Production Systems I -from writing to printing
- Production processes in publishing
- Types of editing: baseline editing, medium copy editing, heavy copy editing
- Developmental editing
- Production editing
- Information Design architecture
5. Production Systems II
- Producing a newsletter
- Mapping the process (step by step)
- Printing -digital printers, offset printers, photocopying, etc
- Publishing an ezine
- Web site optimisation
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Web analytics
- Publishing a novel
- Management structures in the publishing industry
- Production meetings
- Work roles in the Publishing industry
- What does an editor do
6. Layout for Print Media
- The graphic designer
- Layout and design
- Page layout
- Desk top publishing
- Software options (eg. QuarkXpress, Adobe in design, Adobe page maker)
- Image drawing or Illustration
- Image manipulation
7. Media Advertising
- Advertising in the media
- Positioning, size and colour of advertising
- Copy writing for advertisements
- The purpose of advertising
- Analysis of advertising copy
- Summary skills
8. Marketing and Distribution Systems - Print and Electronic Media
- Magazine articles
- Marketing a publication
- Promotion and the launch
- The physical distribution
- Distributing free free publications
- Subscription selling
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
- Develop a better understanding of the nature and scope of processes in a variety of different types of publishing workplaces.
- Discuss the law in relation to the media, whether as a journalist, editor or publisher.
- Discuss the basics of Ethics and Morality in relation to Publishing.
- Explain the Production Systems of publishing from writing to printing.
- Describe the scope of work involved in layout and design requirements for the Print Media.
- Explain what Media Advertising is and understand the processes for publishing advertising content.
- Describe the marketing and Distribution of published items as well as those through Electronic Media.
100 hours of self paced study