Manage energy levels in sport, exercise, work or general day to day living.
Learn what energy is and how to manage people's energy levels
Maintain energy levels in different situations
Know when to rest and how to perform exercises for better energy management.
- Explain how energy is used in the human body to create work and power.
- Explain energy pathways during resting, work and recovery.
- Explain the significance of the acid-base balance in the body.
- Explain movement of materials in and out of living cells.
- Explain the affect of changing atmospheric pressure on the body.
- Explain temperature regulation in the body.
- Explain ergogenic aids to body performance during activity/exercise.
What you will do:
- Explain biological energy cycles, using illustrations where appropriate.
- Explain two examples of energy pathways in the body, including an anaerobic and an aerobic pathway.
- Explain the function of ATP in body energy pathways.
- Explain the significance of the following terms to understanding body energy pathways:
efficiency during exercise
- Explain the consumption of oxygen during different stages of activity, including:
- Calculate the net cost of exercise in litres per minute, for a set situation.
- Explain the measurement of efficiency during the exercise carried out in a set task.
- Explain problems which may occur in physiological processes during running a marathon.
- Explain in one paragraph for each, the following acid-base terms with relevance to
- Describe respiratory regulation of pH in the human body.
- Describe how regulation of pH occurs in the kidneys.
- Explain the affect of strenuous exercise on body pH.
- Explain osmosis in a specific biological situation (of your choice).
- Distinguish between diffusion and facilitated diffusion in the human body.
- Explain how electrochemical forces maintain cellular equilibrium.
- Explain how active transport mechanisms occur at a cellular level.
- Describe three situations where pressure changes can affect body function, including: scuba diving
- Explain the effects of pressure changes on different parts of the body, including examples of changes due to altitude and scuba diving.
- Explain the effect of a decompression treatment on a diver suffering from nitrogen narcosis.
- List mechanisms of heat loss in the human body.
- List mechanisms of heat gain in the human body.
- Explain the operation of thermal receptors and effectors in the human body.
- Describe the exercise session which you underwent in your set task, and explain the maintenance of body temperature during that exercise session.
- Explain how temperature regulation may be different during peak exercise, to what it may be during exercise at 60-70% effort.
- Explain the affects of steroids on the body, in relation to both performance, and other health factors, during two different types of activity.
- Explain the affect of amphetamines, and other performance enhancing drugs on the body, during an activity of your choice.
- Compare the advantages and disadvantages of amino acid use to enhance physical activity.
- Explain the use of blood doping to enhance physical performance in a specific activity.
- Explain ways oxygen can be used to enhance performance in a specific activity.
- Explain the effect of different vitamins on three different types of performance.
- Explain the affect of aspartic acid salts on a specific performance.