Online Publishing Course
Study Publishing at home
If you want to work in Publishing this is a great follow on course from Publishing I.
Publishing II goes in to more depth describing the publishing process and taking you through various assignments and set tasks which help you get a grasp on the industry.
There are 8 lessons in this course:
1.The Publishing Process
•The launch meeting
•Design and cover
•Special for edited volumes
•Printing and binding
2.Law and the Media
•Right to privacy
•Law and the internet
•Publishing on the web
•How material is published online
3.Ethics and Morality
•Code of conduct
•Maintaining impartiality and accuracy
•International federation of journalists
•Interpreting a code of conduct
•Censorship in wartime
•Manipulation of digital images
4.Production Systems I -from writing to printing
•Production processes in publishing
•Types of editing: baseline editing, medium copy editing, heavy copy editing
•Information Design architecture
5.Production Systems II
•Producing a newsletter
•Mapping the process (step by step)
•Printing -digital printers, offset printers, photocopying, etc
•Publishing an ezine
•Web site optimisation
•Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
•Publishing a novel
•Management structures in the publishing industry
•Work roles in the Publishing industry
•What does an editor do
6.Layout for Print Media
•The graphic designer
•Layout and design
•Desk top publishing
•Software options (eg. QuarkXpress, Adobe in design, Adobe page maker)
•Image drawing or Illustration
•Advertising in the media
•Positioning, size and colour of advertising
•Copywriting for advertisements
•The purpose of advertising
•Analysis of advertising copy
8.Marketing and Distribution Systems - Print and Electronic Media
•Marketing a publication
•Promotion and the launch
•The physical distribution
•Distributing free free publications
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
- Develop a better understanding of the nature and scope of processes in a variety of different types of publishing workplaces.
- Discuss the law in relation to the media, whether as a journalist, editor or publisher.
- Discuss the basics of Ethics and Morality in relation to Publishing.
- Explain the Production Systems of publishing from writing to printing.
- Describe the scope of work involved in layout and design requirements for the Print Media.
- Explain what Media Advertising is and understand the processes for publishing advertising content.
- Describe the marketing and Distribution of published items as well as those through Electronic Media.